Friday, January 07, 2005

Smile

You ever hear that one song, that for some reason makes you smile and your heart ache, all at the same time? Right now, for me, that song is Mr. Brightside by the Killers. I don't exactly know why, but there's just something about it.

My friend Andrea is getting married. I am extremely happy for her. My friend Jamie just sent me pictures of her brand new baby. I am ecstatic for her. My friend Tiffany is due, after two years of trying to get pregnant, in June. It couldn't happen to a better person. My friend Sarah and her husband just bought a house. I'm so glad they will be able to garden. My friend Tonya and her husband just bought a house. They need the space for their three kids. My friend Camille and Bart are about to have their third child. I told her if she's born on my birthday, I get her as a present. My cousin Niel and his wife Amanda are looking to buy a house. I hope they find one they love. My cousin Creed is marrying the mother of his child this summer. They are perfect together.

Do you see a pattern here? Turns out, I'm the last single, childless woman I know. Now, I am divorced, so I know what a god-awful marriage is like, but I've never been pregnant. The dynamics of friendship changes when one of you gets married or has a child. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. While I'm complaining that I'm spending yet another Friday night alone, they're thinking, god, I would kill for any time alone. And I should add, I am single by choice. I just came to the conclusion that the men who were interested in me didn't place as much belief in me and my future as I did. Once I meet someone who can do that, and I can do that for him, then I know it's the right guy. But I still need to feel sexy and beautiful and that's kind of hard to do when you never leave your apartment. Having Wes show interest helps: I'm shaving more and starting to buy more sexy clothes. Clothes that will sit in my closet and never get worn. But at least I know that part of me is still alive. I know timing is never right for a relationship, but right now is just a terrible time to think about one at all. I'm leaving to live in Russia within the next 12 months (no later than 15). How many guys do you know would be willing to live in Russia for a year or so? And I really want to have sex, but not dirty, one-night stand, or even bed buddy sex. I want to have sex with someone I trust, and know, and love (or think I could love). Someone who's not going to disappear, or be creepy. But someone who understands me. Someone who looks at me like I am the only women on the face of the earth. The only one they ever want to be with forever. The only woman who could make them forget they were ever with anyone else.

Only five more years until I'm finished with school.

Stacia

2 comments:

Beth said...

Only 70 more until I'm through with school! Yipee!!!

And the guy? I'm sorry, but I'm already dating him. And I'm not giving him up, so you'll have to either clone him, or have one of the other losers out there genetically altered.

Stacia said...

Hey Beth, I understand why you don't want to share him. At least it gives me hope that somewhere, maybe there's a guy like that for me too.

And don't worry, that 70 years will go by really quickly.