Sunday, June 20, 2004

Father's Day

Since this is the day we are to celebrate our dads, I thought I would say a few things about my dad. I did not get to choose my dad, but he did get to choose me. When he married my mom, when I was three, he did not have to take on the responsibility of becoming my dad. But he wanted to and he adopted me. In all the fights that we have had, my dad has never referred to the fact that he is not my "dad". My brother and sister were never treated any better or worse than I was. No one who ever meets our family would know that I am not "his". My dad taught me how to tie my shoes, how to ride bike (I actually ran into him once) and how to drive. He paid for my piano lessons, my private school and my college. He brags to his friends and colleagues about his daughter, the graduate student. He taught me character and morals, more by living and doing, than by preaching. I am who I am because of my dad and I am very proud that he chose me to be his daughter. Thanks dad, and I love you.

Stacia

No comments: