Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Never let me go

That's the title of the book I just finished. It was written by Kazuo Ishiguro. I don't know what I think about it. I think I'll have to think about it for several days. Then I'll have to put it aside for a time, maybe even years and then reread it. Then I'll be able to tell you what I think about it. It's definitely thought provoking. And well written (although the beginning style drove me crazy with all the "first I guess I should tell you about this, but to tell you that I really need to tell you this" passages). When I read Waiting (and I feel bad, I can't remember who wrote it, but he also wrote Crazed, an excellent book), I hated it. Just hated it. I thought it was awful. And I sold it. Now, I want to reread it. I took a class on the PRC (People's Republic of China: I hope that's right) and realized I needed to reread it, that it would make more sense. I don't hate Never let me go the way I hated Waiting, but I do feel I will better understand it with time. Towards the end I started feeling the same way I did when I read The Time Traveler's Wife. When you want things to work out, but you know they won't. Although I kept thinking, just don't go back. Anyway, I would recommend it. It was a good, easy read and I couldn't put it down. I guess in the end, that's the best compliment you can give a book.

I spent today at the library. I got stuff done. Enough said about that. I had lunch with Sean and we talked about dissertation stuff. I'm having dinner with Tiffany tomorrow night. I'm going to miss her so much. Why can't I just take all my friends with me? This isn't as hard as leaving behind Camille when I moved to WI, but it's still hard. I guess that's it for now. Everyone go to your local bookstore and buy that book, read it and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Bart's Camille said...

miss you kiddo. isn't there an inland naval base in texas? and wouldn't you love to be there? just kidding. i know that would be horrible for you. i hope you're hanging in there! glad you got to read another book!