Sunday, September 16, 2007

I got her phone number!

I haven't had the best luck meeting and making friends here in Virginia. The most famous of those I have befriended is probably crazy Dee, whom I am no longer in touch with. Since I was subbing for the same class everyday, I was able to meet people and get to know them a little better than "good morning". There was one woman in particular that I really liked and we seemed to have much in common. But I get nervous around people I actually like and thought I had blown my chances at making a friend. On Thursday, while chatting with her, and trying to impress upon her that I would make a GREAT friend, I got stuck on the topic of child molestation. For 10 minutes. CHILD MOLESTATION. FOR 10 MINUTES. And she has children. What the hell is wrong with me? I figured I had blown it. But, on Friday, she asked for my phone number and gave me hers. I'm trying not to get too excited (think crazy Dee), but I think this could be good.

I think Wednesday was the worse of my illness. Thursday I felt much better and the weather was great. I went bird watching. I hadn't been in so long that just seeing a bird made me excited. Then, much to my delight, I identified four new birds. FOUR!!! It was very exciting. Two of them were large (the royal tern and the belted kingfisher) and two were tiny (the carolina wren and the ruby crowned kinglet). The kingfisher is a large blue bird. Even bigger than a Blue Jay, but with a white "necklace". He was beautiful. The ruby-crowned kinglet is only four inches small. Very cute, very tiny. I was very excited about all of this. Yesterday, Wes and I went to the botanical gardens and I didn't see any new birds, but he got to see the kingfisher and a wood-duck (and I saw a male wood-duck, which I hadn't seen before). We also got incredibly close to a Great Blue Heron. The weather was amazing and it was just really nice being outside with my husband.

However, today I woke up with the worst headache I've had since last November. I'm not sure what brought that on. I'm feeling a bit better now, but I think I'm just going to take it easy the rest of the day.

No comments: