Saturday, April 08, 2006

Simplicity




The building I work in also houses the music and art department. Last week when I came to work, the stairwell was decorated with various chalk drawings. I took some pictures. Not only are the pictures beautiful and cool, but I played clarinet in highschool, so, kind of a neat tie-in. Anyway, the pictures made me happy, so I thought I'd share them. Especially since my blog has been such a bummer for the last week.

Speaking of prelims. I finished question #3 yesterday. It was: Neil MacMaster charts the rise of newly virulent forms of racism, including anti-Semitism and anti-black racism, in the last three decades of the nineteenth century. In this way, he links the reinvigoration of European racism with the rise of a new militant nationalism. How can you explain this link between race and nationalism? How is it connected to the rigid gender hierarchies that predominated in the late nineteenth-early twentieth century?
I finished the question on page eight (they're officially only supposed to be 5 pages) and I only answered the half about anti-Semitism, but not anti-black. I guess that's what the oral exam is for. Sigh.

Today, I'm going to answer this question: In the period 1880-1914 the nature of Jewish politics in Europe underwent a fundamental transformation. By choosing the examples of at least two political movements, identify the nature of the transformation, explain how and why new political movements arose and analyze their significance.

I already know what I want to write, now I just have to find my notes and write it. I'm hoping to be done early this evening so I can start on the next question.

Hope everyone has a much more relaxing weekend than I will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful chalk drawings.

Good luck with answering your questions, I would offer to help..but I have no idea:). Hopefully you'll be able to finish it with enough time to relax a bit during the tail-end of your weekend. Good luck.

P.S. Thank you so much for your last caring note, I really appreciated that